Thursday, August 27, 2009

Kindergarten
I never imagined the intense varying feelings I would experience when I watched my "Baby" Girl go to Kindergarten. As Draven and I walked Elora through the halls for the first time, Draven proudly and protectively stayed at her side while she smiled in excitement to be at the "big kids" school with her brother, seeing her long-time friends along the way, yet still nervous and attached to me as she continued forward. In reaching her locker, Draven eagerly and patiently explained to her how to "use" it and what not to do with her things. Yet Elora showed more interest in listening to her very excited locker neighbor and classmate, Calvin Ureda, along with showing off her new princess backpack to her friend across the hall, Adel Cathey. Although Draven should have left our side and gone to class with the first bell, he wanted to ensure Elora's happiness and ease her mind by walking through the classroom door with her. Mrs. (Ellen) Fischer welcomed Elora with the warmest smile and "Good Morning!" a child could ask for. With other parents in the room, some relaxed, some anxious with cameras, and one with tears of happiness, the children gathered to the colorful rug giggling and chatting with their friends. Draven knew it was time and called to his sister, "Bye Elora!" Her eyes lit up and she waved joyfully as if saying thank you and responded, "Bye Dwaven! Have a good day!" Draven left the classroom with his head held high and smiling confidently as if knowing he did his big brother duty and can now go to class.
The final bell rang and I knew it was time for me to let my Baby go. I gave her one more hug and kiss, waving "I love you" and blowing kisses back and forth with her until I was no longer visible. It was a new day, a new chapter in Elora's life, and the first of many educational experiences ahead as her future unfolds. This was only the beginning and it is called...Kindergarten.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home